Pumpkin Leaves!
I went on my $40 dollars @ week shopping mission at my favorite Indian neighborhood at Roosevelt Avenue in Jackson Heights, Queens. I scanned the street vegetable stands and came across a particular item, which I grew up eating back in Suriname, thanks to my father: young pumpkin stems and leaves.
It is now August summer season in New York and people have grown and harvested their pumpkins and along the stems and leaves – something Americans never would think of preparing and eating.
This particular vegetable is loaded with iron, and instead of taking iron pills, my father would prepare it nicely as a bhadjee dish along with all the massalas to eat with rice. It is quite tasty. If you plant and harvest this item yourself, the cost is near a couple of cents per person to prepare and eat it along with a grain and a lentil protein, and it makes a great vegan nutritious meal.
In America – who would have thought of this.

No comments:
Post a Comment